Chairman visits grave of Major Tubb VC 7/AIF

Gallipoli Association Chairman, Brigadier James Stopford, reading out the VC citation at the grave of Major Tubb VC, 7th Battalion AIF. Tubb won his award on 9th August 1915 at Lone Pine, and killed during the Third Battle of Ypres in 1917.

Tubb, from Longwood East Victoria, Australia was 33 years old, and a lieutenant in the 7th Battalion, Australian Imperial Force, when he was awarded the VC for his actions on 9 August 1915 at Lone Pine. Lieutenant Tubb held a newly captured trench which was being counter-attacked by the enemy, who blew in a sand-bag barricade, leaving only a foot of it standing. Tubb led his men back, repulsed the enemy and rebuilt the barricade. Twice more the enemy blew in the barricade, but on each occasion this officer, although wounded in the head and arm, held his ground and assisted by corporals Alexander Burton and William Dunstan, rebuilt it, and maintained the position under heavy bombardment.


For most conspicuous bravery and devotion to duty at Lone Pine trenches, in the Gallipoli Peninsula, on 9th August, 1915. In the early morning the enemy made a determined counter attack on the centre of the newly captured trench held by Lieutenant Tubb. They advanced up a sap and blew in a sandbag barricade, leaving only one foot of it standing, but Lieutenant Tubb led his men back, repulsed the enemy, and rebuilt the barricade. Supported by strong bombing parties, the enemy succeeded in twice again blowing in the barricade, but on each occasion Lieutenant Tubb, although wounded in the head and arm, held his ground with the greatest coolness and rebuilt it, and finally succeeded in maintaining his position under very heavy bomb fire.

— The London Gazette, No. 29328 15 October 1915

He later achieved the rank of major and died of wounds suffered in battle at Polygon Wood, in the Third Battle of Ypres, on 20 September 1917. In this action Major Tubb was serving with 7th Battalion, 2nd Brigade, 1st Australian Division when he was shot by a German sniper. While being carried to the rear he was struck by British artillery shells. He died at the dressing station at Lijssenthoek and was buried at Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery, Belgium.

Chairman at the grave of Major Frederick Tubb VC, near Ypres.