- 07 May 23 07:00 - 12 May 23 19:00
- Battlefield Tour
Photograph: Gallipoli Association and Battle Honours group walking via Shell Green to Lone Pine.
Following previous tours of Gallipoli, in conjunction with Battle Honours Ltd, we are pleased to be offering trips for members and friends to visit the Peninsula in the company of fellow enthusiasts and authorities.
During May, travel restrictions permitting, will see us running concurrent walking and coach tours which will visit all the most important spots of Gallipoli. This comprehensive battlefield tour will not only cover the main areas of the campaign, at a relaxed pace, but also some of the seldom visited spots not offered on other tour itineraries. We believe this tour is second to none, and with all the advantages of like-minded individuals, this intimate group will discover trench remains, old mule tracks, dried up gullies and the quiet beaches of this beautiful Peninsula.
Our tours are led by Gallipoli Association and Guild of Battlefield Guide members.
· ‘Walking Gallipoli’ Tour – 7th - 12th May 2023
- £TBC with flights (£TBC for GA Members)
- £TBC non flight option (£TBC for GA Members)
Walking Gallipoli, led by our historian and author, Stephen Chambers alongside battlefield guide, author and member Clive Harris, will offer a series of walks covering the highlights of the campaign, conducted at a relaxed pace and with scope to visit spots not offered on other tour itineraries. We feel this tour offers the most comprehensive tour available to Gallipoli, as part of a like-minded intimate group to reach seldom visited spots via mule tracks, dried up gullies and quiet beaches. The distances are not excessive, our average day involves around 6 miles over undulating ground but at a pace to suit the needs of the group, if you have any concerns, please feel free to give us a call.
We will stay in a charming Canakkale boutique hotel with well-equipped rooms: A/C, TV, en-suite bathrooms and bar facilities. Bed and Breakfast basis, with packed or cafe lunches included. Evening meals are not included.
‘Walking Gallipoli’ Tour Itinerary
· 7 May 2023: Flights from London to Istanbul; transfer to Gallipoli.
· 8 May 2023: Helles – Visiting the main 29th Division landing beaches, Hunter-Weston Hill, Helles Memorial, Sedd-el-Bahr, Doughty-Wylie VC grave, Gully Ravine and Pink Farm.
· 9 May 2023: Anzac – After a boat cruise around Anzac Cove we visit Beach cemetery, Shrapnel Valley and explore the high ground of Plugges Plateau, Sphinx, Silt Spur, Lone Pine, Johnston’s Jolly, 4th Battalion Parade Ground, Courtney, Steele’s, Quinn’s Post and The Nek.
· 10 May 2023: North Anzac - A beautiful walk in the remote North Anzac area exploring Embarkation Cemetery, Taylor’s Gap, Agyhl Dere, Damakjelik Spur, Australia Valley, and Hill 60. In the afternoon we walk from the heights of Chunuk Bair and Sari Bair, along Rhododendron Ridge to Ocean Beach below.
· 11 May 2023: Suvla - Starting at Nibrunesi Point we follow the exploits of Kitchener’s New Army Troops exploring Lala Baba and the Salt Lake. We then visit both Chocolate and Green Hills, Scimitar Hill, and walk from Hill 10 following in the footsteps of the 5th Norfolk’s.
· 12 May 2023: Optional extra day in Istanbul (TBC) or Return to London via Istanbul
To enquire or to reserve a space, please email: email@example.com
Photograph: A wrecked 'Horse' Lighter on W Beach, Lancashire Landing.
Photograph: A 'Gully Ravine' hero - Second Lieutenant A V Smith VC, the last Victoria Cross to be won on the Peninsula.
Photograph: Walking Gully Ravine